which I also find delicious. They can be hard to find, but Cracker Barrel consistently has them in stock.
I came upon an article today entitled "9 Things You Didn't Know About Valentine Candy Hearts" In case you don't want to take the time, I'll summarize.
1. They date back to 1866.
2. One of the first messages was, "Send a Lock of Hair by Return Mail" I think this was more of a fortune cookie type message, but still...
3. There were originally shaped like scallop shells
4. They were originally popular wedding treats before becoming popular during Valentines Day
5. The Heart shape took off in 1902. Some of the original sayings KISS ME, SWEET TALK, and BE MINE have been in circulation for over 100 years.
6. They change the messages every year. Messages like DIG ME and GROOVY are definitely from another era. Here are a few past messages. My personal favorite is LOVE, which I think has been around since I was a kid. I think Dan might have gave me one in grade school!
7. They will keep up to five years. Got to wonder.....
8. Necco produces enough every year that everyone on the planet could have one.
9. They will dance in a can of soda.