Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Birthday Spiraling Away

I have always liked birthdays.  It is an excuse for a party—always a good idea.  But I have to admit I am somewhat embarrassed about celebrating mine when I am not in charge.  (That probably says a lot about me).  Anyway, February 4th was actually quiet.  Dan and I were invited to Paul and Janice’s for supper.  A perfect celebration.  But, the next day I got too much attention at church and then several friends wanted to go out to Texas Roadhouse for lunch.  I  think I would have refused had I known they were going to make me sit on a saddle and then bring a whole bunch of staff to sing a loud and rollicking song.  I can guarantee there are no pictures of that going on this blog.

I did get a Spiralizer for my birthday though.  Here’s the picture on the box…

IMG_3906-1

These little gadgets are really fun.

I can’t wait to do a potato like is in the bottom right corner and put it on the grill with a little oil and seasonings on it.  Kind of like a grilled potato chip on a skewer.

Here is what I did today.  I spiralized with that left hand blade one big russet potato, one big sweet potato and one big carrot.  Then I threw them in a pan with olive oil, seasonings and enough basil flavored vinegar from our neighbors who make their own to provide enough liquid to steam the whole thing.  I didn’t cook it until it was all mush but still done.  Dan said it was like eating candy.  It was good.  I have a zucchini, and yellow squash in the frig so am going to try making a vegetable soup we enjoy with spirals tomorrow.  

2 comments:

Bonnie from Iowa said...

I love the spiralizer! I have one that attaches to my Kitchen aid mixer and it is the neatest thing to use. Zoodles are the best thing to make....zucchini spiralized into noodles like spaghetti. Saute them with salt & pepper just a few minutes in olive oil and top with spaghetti sauce with browned meat. SO Good! I love how it cores/spirals/peels apples. Just so many things you can do with it. Have fun!

Linda said...

Thank you for the tips, Bonnie! I forgot to mention it cleans up easily too.