Monday, May 18, 2015

Tree Trimming

It has been an ongoing project to work on trees around here.   We have large Australian pines to the north of our house.  They started as a wind break, but not sure how much wind they block anymore.  I think I’ve said this before but I feel like I’m in the mountains as the wind whistles through those big trees.

Since we were working on trees anyway, Dan decided to chainsaw the limbs that were too low to safely mow under.

Later, I was contemplating loading the limbs on a trailer when I saw a dove scamper off.  On closer inspection, there was a nest, still on the limb, but laying on the ground.  And, it had two little doves in it.   I gently covered it with another limb and waited for Dan to get home.  I knew he would have an idea.  I hoped it wouldn’t involve bringing the baby doves in the house!

What we did do was to cut the limb on each side of the nest and used baling twine to tie it back up onto a limb higher in the tree. 

Sure enough, we went back out to check later and there was the dove sitting on the nest with her babies safely underneath.  She didn’t like the camera pointed at her so she flew off, but here is the nest. 

IMG_7096

This was about three weeks ago.  We are fairly sure we have seen the little babies tentatively flying around recently.  All is well that ends well!

No comments: