Sunday, July 13, 2014

Garden surprise

Remember that tomato that showed up in a potted plant?  Well, we have a similar situation in the garden right now.

Before I write about the surprise vines, I have to brag a bit about the garden. 

IMG_1343

It’s looking good this year.  Of course, it helps that we have had timely rains and Dan had just rototilled.  And, I had cleaned out the okra rows and added mulch to the….

Watermelon and Cantaloupe! 

It happens where the watermelon and cantaloupe came up, I had dumped recycle stuff from the kitchen, obviously including watermelon and cantaloupe seeds.  For a long time, we didn’t know what they were.  Until this:

IMG_1342IMG_1340

I look every day to find more and to check on these.  Looking forward to some vine ripened goodness later this summer.

2 comments:

Pablo said...

That's pretty much how we grew cantaloupe one year. I had set the seeds our for the birds (who were not interested) and then this vine started growing. I think we got two tasty melons from that surprise.

Linda said...

Only two? I need to read how to tend to melon vines. I suspect I should remove about half the blooms for better production. (There are a bunch of blooms) My Mom grew beautiful cantalope, but I never ask her how she did it.