Monday, February 17, 2014

Catching up

Even though I probably would say to anyone who asked that I love snow, I think the recent two weeks of snow cover and cold temperatures put a damper on my writing or even any creative thoughts, though.  I would sit down to write a post and nothing came to mind.  I don't think anyone wants to read about what I cooked for dinner.  Although, I will say the cold days did produce some tasty dishes.

What to do if everything is covered with snow in the area?  Take off for Colorado, where the temperatures were in the 50s. 

We left last Thursday morning, needing a little umpf to get up the slight grade from our garage to clear gravel to get traction and on up the driveway.  Thankfully, we had our Suzy to help out.  (Suzy is for another post). 

The trip out was uneventful and relaxing.  I've said before that Dan and I  look forward to the eight hours on the road.  There is always something new to look at, talk about or read.  I drove from Hays to Limon going out.  I think Dan was coming down with a cold and didn't know it.  Doug was sick with a bad cold the whole time we were out there.  Dan probably wasn’t quite as bad as Doug, but both went through lots of Kleenex and cough drops.

I was greeted with a birthday bouquet.  IMG_0716Just what I needed to ward off winter doldrums.

The three days flew by.  Carly could hardly wait to watch a borrowed copy of "The Hunger Games." with us.    I didn't think I would like the movie due to the disturbing storyline.  It was a very good, though.  It was obvious Carly had watched the movie more than once before. I am now hooked too and must read the other two novels of the trilogy.  Carly especially likes the heroine, Katniss Everdeen—she is a strong role model for young girls.  Here are a couple pictures that will mean more if you have seen the movie.

IMG_0749IMG_0752IMG_0761

Mostly, we played Sequence, watched the Olympics, KSU basketball and just hung out.  Carly and I made some hearts and chocolate covered strawberries.  Dan & I watched the kids practice their music.

IMG_0792IMG_0799

We did see one movie--The Lego Movie.  It was fun considering it is a movie made with Legos?  It was funny, cute and had a good message.  The title song is so catchy that we sang it on the way home and still this morning.  Here is a link to the YouTube video--hard to get through the whole song, but has to be the most positive song message ever.  “Everything is Awesome, Everything is Cool when we’re part of a team….”  Can’t beat that.

One thing happened this weekend.  I took a bunch of phone pictures and only a couple camera pictures.  I can't let this be a trend because the camera pictures are fine on a phone but not so good enlarged on this space. 

One last picture as we left this morning. 

IMG_0824

No comments: