Monday, January 06, 2014

Two books for toasty reading by the fire

Of course, I don’t often “read” a book, I listen.  As I’ve said before, I get so much done around the house when I have a good book going in my little mp3 player.

I highly recommend the two I  listened to during the Holidays.

First, Sycamore Row by John Grisham.  I have not read all of his books, but Pelican Brief and The Firm are well known legal narratives.  If you read the reviewers on Amazon, Sycamore Row could be called a sequel to A Time to Kill.  Both are set in Clanton, Mississippi where Seth Hubbard is dying of lung cancer and takes his own life.  Jake Brigance, the young lawyer in the book A Time to Kill, is appointed by Seth to represent his expansive and lucrative will.  A will that bypasses his children for his black house keeper.  It is a well written story set around a trial that contests the will. 

The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks is a love story.  However, I think men would enjoy meeting elderly Ira Levinson and his wife Ruth.  Their story parallels and eventually touches the lives of  Sophia Danko and Luke, a champion bull rider.  I like Nicholas Sparks novels because of their creative yet clean storyline. Read by Ron McLarty and January LaVoy, The Longest Ride is perfect for toasty reading.

For some reason, I have managed to check out four or five books from the library.  Good reading ahead for me.  I’ll keep you updated.

No comments: