Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Turkey again?

Yes, turkey again.

Dan is doing a little volunteer work with our friend Heath on the Clinton Museum, located near the town of Clinton at the lake.   Heath bought several turkeys on sale after Thanksgiving thinking he would smoke them.  He got busy so gave one to us. 

So, out came the roaster again today to bake another turkey.  Actually, the preparation started last night when I dropped the 14 pounder into an ice water brine and sat it out on the porch—our extended refrigerator.

This morning I rinsed and patted it dry with a paper towel and rubbed on butter.  Someone told me you can never get too much garlic, onion and  celery on a turkey.

IMG_4770

I added a couple carrots just to give a little flavor to the broth.  I grated the orange over the top.  The Tone’s Canadian Chicken spice,  has dried orange rind in it, along with dried garlic and onion.  I also added some Tone’s garlic pepper. 

Here’s the dressed up bird.

IMG_4765

He is baked, boned, bagged and in the freezer.  I just couldn’t get excited about turkey right now.  I have five (actually six, I just went out and checked)  1 1/2 pound plus bags and three containers of broth.  It’s a good feeling knowing I can come up with a great dinner at the spur of the moment.  Just let me know…

No comments: