Thursday, November 21, 2013

Home building adventure

It was a cold, rainy, icy day so I decided to scan a few negatives.  Sometimes it pays to be a pack rat.  Over the years, I never threw away the negatives from pictures.  How could I ever have guessed that in this digital age, scanning the negatives rather than developed pictures produces a much better copy.  My goal is to digitalize all pictures I’ve taken over the years.

The problem with the whole negative/scanning program is that I didn’t keep the negatives in any kind of order.  In fact many are just thrown into a box.  I can scan two strips at a time.  It is fun to see what pops up.

It was this random scanning that these two pictures came up.  I didn’t even know I had these pictures. 

img141

img140

These pictures were taken 35 years ago when we built the house we live in now.  We sold our previous home, moved all our possessions into the metal barn next to the camper (the same barn we cleaned earlier in the week) and made our home in the two campers.  The fifth wheel belonged to my parents and the little one was ours.  We moved the third week of August and into the basement of the house around Thanksgiving. 

Obviously, the kids were OK with it all.  I found other pictures of them playing around the building site.  Actually, Doug fell into the basement before the house was framed.  Thankfully, he was not hurt. 

We did not heat the little camper the kids slept in for safety reasons.  They were under a big pile of blankets and in the morning they would come running over to the big camper where we had the furnace running.

The only utility we had when we first moved was electricity.  Our kind neighbors let us haul water from their outdoor spigot.  We ran down to Don’s Steak House—the only thing left from old Richland after it was abandoned for Clinton Lake—to use the telephone.  Not having a phone and trying to build a house was very inconvenient.  As I remember, the concrete trucks got lost.  When they finally put one in, it was in the barn with a loud outdoor ringer.    

I look at the whole event as one of our great family adventures.  I hope our kids do as well.

3 comments:

Pablo said...

These are wonderful! It makes me wonder what I have in old boxes.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I remember those days well. We used to grill and eat outside most days. I was like a 6 month camping trip. No surprise that Kim is reading a book...

Doug

Kim said...

Ha Ha Doug. Nice hat.