Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Holiday recipes

I thought now might be a good time to post several recipes that were winners this Holiday season. 

First is Drue’s Cranberry Salsa.  Very unique and would be a good choice for New Year’s Eve. 

Cranberry Salsa

1 Package (12 ounces) fresh cranberries, chopped
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in juice, drained
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I added more)
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion (I added around 1/2 cup)
1 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl, combine cranberries, pineapple, sugar, green pepper,
cilantro, onion, jalapeño pepper and salt. Cover and chill 2 hours to
let flavors blend. Yields around 3 cups salsa.

Dan really likes the stuffed mushroom appetizers at the Blind Tiger in Topeka.  This recipe is our attempt to copy them.  The only difference is the Blind Tiger deep fries.  We decided we could do without all that fat so we baked.

Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms

1 cup crab meat
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
House seasoning (recipe follows)
2 portobello mushrooms caps or 10 white mushroom caps
1/2 cup bread crumbs
nonstick cooking spray

Preheat to 375

Combine the crabmeat, cream cheese, parsley, green onions and Parmesan.  Season with House Seasoning to taste.  Stuff the mushroom caps with the mixture and top with breat crumbs.  Spray the tops with nonstick spray to help them brown.  Transfer to the oven & bake for about 20 minutes or until the filling is hot & melted.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients & store in airtight container for up to six months.

Finally, as I mentioned, we tried Fondue for our Christmas.  I kept it simple:  steak, cheese squares, bread with a salad.  I asked the butcher which cut would work best for the meat and he recommended beef loin top sirloin steaks.  I trimmed the fat and cut into about 1 inch cubes.  I made two marinades from scratch.  The recipe I’m posting was the best.     I like peanut oil for fondue.  I don’t think it smokes as much.  I used Velveeta and Rotel for the cheese sauce because I knew the kids liked it.   And BBQ sauce for dipping the meat, although the marinade was good enough that I thought it stood on its own.

Steak Marinade

Soy Sauce
Canola Oil
Crushed Garlic gloves
Crushed red pepper
Agave nectar (I used honey)
Ground ginger (or fresh)

Mix marinade using proportions as to how much needed.  Put steak cubes in plastic bag with marinade for 2 to six hours.  Periodically turn bag.

Cheese Cubes

Use favorite hard cheeses.  I used the marbled Monterey Jack/cheddar, mozzarella, and  Pepper Jack.  Cut in 1/2 plus inch cubes.  Mix together one egg and a little milk.  Dip in egg mixture then bread crumbs (I used Italian seasoned bread crumbs).  Let sit a while then repeat.  After two dippings, let sit again for a while—1/2 hour or so then refrigerate.  Set out about a half hour before cooking.

No comments: