Thursday, December 27, 2012

Best of 2012 lists

I’ll admit if I see an article entitled “Best of” I’m clicking on it.  Writers are most likely aware of their popularity or why would we see so many.  I try to remember these lists are usually one person’s opinion.  Or that the author might be influenced by another best of list.

That possibility of being influenced especially comes to mind when an article I read listing the author’s 2012 “best of” book list just happens to include most of the Amazon monthly recommended books.  Then again, these might just be excellent books.

At any rate, I decided to put them on my library “wish list.”

 Dear Life by Alice Munro
The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker 
Defending Jacob by William Landay
Wild by Cheryl Strait
The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
Light between Oceans: A Novel by M. L. Stedman
The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe
The Organ Master’s Son: A Novel by Adam Johnson
Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

I’m a little backlogged right now after finally finishing  Winter of the World by Ken Follett, a mega book--excellent, but long.  I’m currently enjoying the easy story of The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks and  I have Life of Pi by Yann Martel checked out and is due soon.  

Any other winter reading recommendations welcome…..

No comments: