Thursday, November 15, 2012

Southern cooking & deer

Good friends of ours, Phillip and Gayle,  have visitors from North Carolina.  They are in this part of Kansas to hunt.  More specific, bow hunt deer. 

They have been here all week.  Well, not really at our house.  Their deer stand is behind our house down on the Wildlife & Parks land.    They have seen plenty but they are looking for big boy. 

IMG_3519-11So far, no luck.  They are patient, though, so who knows. 

Since they are hunting nearby, we invited them and Phillip and Gayle for dinner tonight.   Phillip provided the Elk roast.  Very good.  That’s from someone who doesn’t particularly like game.  With the meat, I had mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and apple pie.  I also wanted one truly southern recipe.  So I went searching.

I found my Best of the Best from South Carolina,  near enough to their native state, I thought.  I like this cookbook because the recipes are truly southern, but simple.    And, it got compliments from the gracious southern gentlemen.  It would be a different way to serve sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving.  If you are serving it to true southerners, put out honey or molasses.  I tend to serve biscuits with jelly or jam.  

Sweet Potato Biscuits

3 cups flour
2 heaping tablespoons baking powder
1 teas. Salt
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
½ cup sugar
¼ cup milk

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.  Cut in shortening with fork or pasty cutter.  Combine
warm sweet potatoes and sugar.  Mix well.  Add milk.  Combine sweet potato and flour mixtures.
Blend well.  Place on floured surface and roll to desired thickness or about ½ inch.  Cut with biscuit cutter.  Bake on a lightly greased baking sheet about 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  We had plenty left over after serving six.  The recipe says it yields 2 to 3 dozen.  I must have a bigger cutter because I didn't get that many.

No comments: