Friday, November 23, 2012

Giving Thanks for Family and Food

I can’t say I was stressed about Thanksgiving dinner yesterday because I enjoy planning, precooking and then seeing all the last minute dishes come together.  It was nice, though,  to hear the knock announcing  Kim and Drue coming to help.  Then a little later Drue’s Mom brought in the makings for Mimosas.  That’s when the fun really started.

IMG_1947 

Wasn’t it a beautiful day?  The wind turned late in the day, but not before many footballs were thrown and we tramped around the pasture.  It was an extra nice Thanksgiving all around,  for me anyway.

Yes, we did do a little shopping this morning—in downtown Topeka.  We certainly did not fight any crowds.  In fact, it was fun and we supported local small businesses.  First, we stopped by Classic Bean for coffee and hot tea.   A few doors down the coffee went exceptionally well with  Hazel Hill Chocolate.  It was hard to make up our minds but we enjoyed a treat and brought some home.

IMG_2005IMG_2007 

Then it was on to Wolfe’s Camera, a long-time downtown business.  I never am disappointed looking around that store.  There are plenty of knowledgeable people to help with any camera or photo question.  A few things were checked off the gift list as well.

This afternoon Dan, Doug, Marc and Aaron cut wood.  And, from all reports a productive experience.  Might have been good that it was cooler today. 

Meanwhile, the rest of us made cut out, frosted cookies.  Those were so good we never did get around to eating left over pumpkin pie.  By the way, we learned anything containing cream cheese should be refrigerated, including frosted cookies.  There weren’t too many of our cookies left to worry about fitting in the refrigerator this time.

Then there was the soup.  I am saving that story for tomorrow.  I’ll just say our Friday soup supper is why I never discourage anyone from joining me in my kitchen! 

No comments: