Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

I am thinking of making a new cookie recipe for the weekend.  I’ve been trying to “think healthy” for the past several weeks so this recipe reflects that. 

Only thing is, I don’t know what some of these “healthy” ingredients are.  Stevia I find out is a herbal sweetener.  I don’t have one of those super blenders that grinds oats or almonds into flour.  Sucanat I guess is raw brown sugar and why is coconut oil called “oil” if you have to melt it. 

All I know pumpkin snickerdoodles sound really good.  Mine might not be quite as healthy but I’ll see what I can do. 

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

Makes 28 cookies

Ingredients

1 1/4 cup oat flour (grind oats in your food processor or blender OR use your fave gluten free flour mix)
1/2 cup almond flour (just grind almonds in your food processor or blender)
1/3 cup stevia baking blend like Krisda or NuNaturals (or 10-11 packets stevia or 1/2 tsp to 3/4 tsp pure powder extract stevia OR 1/3 cup of your fave alternative)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (I used canned pumpkin)
1 egg
1/4 cup sucanat (coconut palm sugar or another type of raw brown sugar)
1/4 cup butter or non-dairy margarine (I used Earth Balance)
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

Topping (to roll the balls of dough in):

1/4 cup cane sugar (could also use Truvia, erythritol or xylitol…you’ll just need to use something granular. Typical stevia is almost powdered, so wouldn’t be the best choice)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger (the powdered kind, not fresh ginger)

Directions

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. In a larger bowl mix together oat flour, almond flour, stevia, baking powder, soda,  salt & cinnamon.  In a smaller bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, egg, sucanat, butter and coconut oil until smooth.  Add to dry ingredients and mix together until combined.

Place dough in freezer for 10-15 minutes until easy to roll into balls. Meanwhile, combine to topping in a shallow dish.

Roll dough into balls with your hands and roll in the topping.  Place on a cookie sheet (greased or lined with parchment paper).  Bake for 13-14 minutes until slightly firm to the touch, and slightly cracked on top.

Allow to cool on  a rack. Can be stored at room temp or frozen.

Nutrition (per cookie)   Calories: 75   Fat: 5 g   Carbs: 7 g   Sugars: 3 g   Sodium: 80 mg   Protein: 1.2 g

2 comments:

Kim said...

Please. Do not mess with the snickerdoodle. Call these cookies something more descriptive - like "stuff I scraped off my shoe" - but not snickerdoodles. You know I'm kidding, Mom (not really).

Linda said...

Don't tell Kim but I'm going to make these cookies & not tell her they are this recipe. Bet she won't know:)