Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Cattle Egrets

I just came in the house from mowing. It is almost 9:00 and just getting dark . It feels cool out, but it is 74 degrees. There is still a breeze and a possibility of showers.

As I was about to turn in our driveway on my way home from work tonight, I spotted Cattle Egrets around our neighbor’s cattle. I stopped immediately and quickly found my camera.

According to All About Birds, the cattle Egret is relatively new to the US, arriving in 1941. However, it has become one of the most abundant herons. This opportunistic bird will follow large animals or machines to catch insects. They were fun to watch with the cattle because they appeared to get right up near their heads. The cattle didn’t seem to be bothered, except the cow did not appreciate one of them on her back.

No comments: